Can You Bond Out Of Jail? What You Should Know

If you have been arrested for a crime, you may have the opportunity to bond out of jail. If this happens, you have to go through a bail hearing. This process is important, and you should be aware of how it works before you begin. The following are some questions and answers you need to know:

What Is a Bail Hearing?

Bail hearings occur when a judge will listen to the details of your crime and arrest. The judge decides if you can or cannot get out of jail on bail. He or she will have to take many factors into consideration when making this decision, such as whether or not you have the means or capability to leave town before your trial, what type of crime you committed, and any crimes you have committed in the past.

How Do You Pay Your Bail?

If you are allowed to bond out of jail, you must be able to pay. If you cannot make your own bail payment, a family member or friend can do so for you. You also have the option of using a bail bondsman.

What Happens If You Bond Out of Jail?

If you bond out, you have to remain in a specific location as determined by the judge. The point of this is that the law enforcement in your area knows where you are between the time of your bond and your trial. Law enforcement will check in with you periodically. You may have to stay within a certain proximity of anyone who was involved in your crime, such as any victims or witnesses. The judge will lay out specific rules for you to follow. If you fail to abide by those rules, you will end up in jail with your bond revoked.

What If You Are Not Granted Bail?

A judge can choose to deny your bail for any number of reasons. If your crime was egregious or otherwise dangerous in nature, the judge can have you remain in jail for the safety of your community. This includes crimes like armed robbery, rape, attempted murder, and the like. If your criminal history is long, the judge can also deny your bail. This can also happen if you are deemed a flight risk and leave the area before your trial. If this happens, you should work with your criminal defense attorney to determine what your other options may be.