Hiring An Attorney When Marrying A Foreigner

Did you want to marry someone who has been temporarily living in the United States to further his or her education? Although it is legal to marry a foreigner who is temporarily living in the United States, it comes with the risk of being accused of committing fraud. For example, if it is almost time for your partner to graduate, you might be accused of trying to keep him or her in the country by way of marriage. Unfortunately, many people do get married for immigration purposes, which is why the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is strict about issuing visas. Before marrying your partner, hire an immigration attorney to make the process smoother.

Marriage Ceremony Advice 

Although you are not obligated to have a big marriage ceremony, an attorney might advise putting a little effort into the ceremony for immigration purposes. For example, if you simply take your partner to the courthouse to get married, it might look less genuine in the eyes of the USCIS. Even if you intend to get married at the courthouse, getting advice from an attorney will be helpful. He or she might recommend asking a few of your loved ones to go to the courthouse to witness the union and take group photos. If it is possible, asking a few of your partner's loved ones to attend the courthouse union will be helpful as well.

Applying for a CR1 Spouse Visa

Getting married is the easiest part of the process, but obtaining a conditional residency (CR1) visa for your spouse is the next and most extensive step. You will have to fill out a lot of documents and prove that the marriage is not immigration fraud. An attorney can assist by providing advice on the type of evidence to give the USCIS to prove that the marriage is real. He or she can also fill out visa documents to ensure that nothing is done in a way that might prevent the visa from getting approved. Making a simple mistake like not answering a question can delay the entire visa approval process.

Communicating with the USCIS

Throughout the process of trying to get your spouse a CR1 visa, communication with the USCIS will be going on. An attorney can do a lot of the communicating on behalf of you and your spouse unless the USCIS specifically needs to speak to one or both of you. After a CR1 visa has been approved, you should still keep an attorney around until your spouse gains permanent residency in the United States.

Find a law firm near you and consult with an immigration attorney to learn more.